We hope that New Covenant will be filled with people helping people. We believe that God’s word shows that God’s grace to us often comes through other people. The following statement represents our current thinking now and was adopted by the board of elders on September 1, 2009.
- The aim of the counseling ministry is to extend the pastoral care of the elders through helping of individuals in the church.
- We believe counseling belongs in the local church (Rom 15). Outside counselors may, on occasion, supplement the counsel of the church.
- We believe the Scriptures are sufficient for counseling (2 Tim 3:16-17).
- We believe that those who counsel, do so under the authority of the elders. The elders are given the responsibility to care for the flock of God that is under their care. Therefore any counseling done in the church has as its purpose to extend the pastoral care of the elders.
- Ideally, men should counsel men and women should counsel women.
- The elders have been influenced by and are in general agreement with these training materials and organizations. They are expected to provide the theological and methodological basis of any ministry in this area.